Should You Buy a Fixed Annuity?
- Use our checklist to determine if you should buy a fixed annuity
- A fixed is a good fit for you if you’re looking to grow your retirement savings tax-free
- Fixed annuities generally offer higher rates than CDs with the same contract length
- Consider a fixed annuity if you want guaranteed growth, but want to preserve some liquidity
A fixed annuity is a tax-deferred retirement savings vehicle that provides fixed asset accumulation, much like a CD. With a fixed annuity, you can invest your savings over a specified time horizon (typically 3 to 10 years), earning a fixed return. The interest earned in your fixed annuity is not taxed until withdrawn, and your principal is guaranteed.
Fixed annuities are also known as Multi-Year Guaranteed Annuities (MYGAs), fixed rate annuities, fixed deferred annuities, and single premium deferred annuities.
Blueprint Income chooses to act as a fiduciary and we’ll never suggest you buy a product that isn’t right for you. After years of working with clients, we’ve built an easy checklist so you can know if a fixed annuity is a good fit for you:
- You have money to invest for at least 3 years but want access to it within 10 years
- The money you’re investing is earmarked for retirement or to be passed on to heirs
- You’ve already maxed out your IRA or 401(k) contributions
- You want greater certainty and principal protection
- You have other assets in the market exposed to higher expected returns
- You want to preserve some liquidity
Sometimes it’s easier to see what you are instead of what you aren’t. If you can check off these boxes, a fixed annuity is probably not a good fit for you:
- You need to access your money within 3 years or before age 59½
- You aren’t maxing out IRA or 401(k) contributions
- You’re interested in high risk investments and willing to risk your principal to achieve it
- You’re interested in generating income in retirement
If you plan to annuitize your fixed annuity upon maturity, it’s worth considering purchasing a Deferred Income Annuity (DIA), which will achieve the same thing but without the liquidity. Read more about Deferred Income Annuities here.
This checklist is a good outline, but we know that it’s sometimes easier to sort through the specifics of your financial future with someone over email or phone. We’re always here to help! You can contact us at [email protected].
How Can I Buy a Fixed Annuity?
At Blueprint Income, we offer fixed annuities from more than 15 top rated insurance companies. Click below to get real-time personalized quotes.
From there, you’ll get access to our annuity guides and team of specialists to help you analyze your retirement finances and walk you through the application process.